Are you or your child getting braces? If you are new to the concept of braces, you probably have some questions. Getting braces may seem like a big undertaking, but it is a common experience for most children and teens. Here are 10 of the most frequently asked questions about braces.
- How much do braces cost? The first question most parents have is about the cost of braces. On average, braces cost between $3,000 and $7,000. The exact amount you are quoted will depend on your individual treatment needs.
- Does dental insurance cover braces? After hearing the cost, most people want to know if insurance will cover braces. Some dental insurance plans include coverage for braces. How much, if any, of the cost of braces your insurance will cover depends on your individual plan and provider. Choosing an in-network office can also reduce the cost of braces. Our office is in network with almost all PPO insurances.
- Are braces painful? Most patients do not describe braces as painful. There may be some discomfort in the first few days to a week after getting your braces put on. Your teeth, gums, and jaw may feel a little sore, but it can usually be relieved with over the counter pain medication. If the brackets rub the inside of your cheeks and lips, orthodontic wax can be put over them to reduce the irritation.
- Do you have to lose all of your baby teeth before you can get braces? No, losing all of your baby teeth is not necessary before getting braces. Many patients need braces earlier while they still have many baby teeth in place.
- Will my child need to have any teeth pulled? Not necessarily, but sometimes it can help to have stubborn baby teeth removed or even permanent teeth when there is excessive crowding. Getting baby teeth out of the way so that permanent teeth can come in helps to guide the teeth into the right position.
- How long do braces take to straighten teeth? The average length of time in braces is between 1 and 3 years. Some patients may wear them less than a year, while others may wear them for more than 3 years. How long your treatment takes depends on the extent of the orthodontic corrections that are needed. Following your Doctor’s instructions and keeping up with your appointments can help ensure your treatment goes as quickly as possible.
- How do I brush and floss my teeth with braces on? You may have to brush and floss a little differently when you have braces on. Brushing is similar, it is just important to brush both above and below your braces, paying special attention to the gum line. When it comes to flossing, there are many different methods from special flossers to threading the floss under your archwire between each tooth.
- Can I get Invisalign instead of braces? Maybe, but it depends on your orthodontic needs. We do challenging cases with clear aligners and we will provide you with treatment options.
- How often will I need to go to appointments? Orthodontic appointments while you have braces are typically between 6-8 weeks apart. These appointments allow the Doctor to monitor your progress and make necessary adjustments to shift your teeth into proper alignment.
- Can adults get braces? Yes. Many adults choose to get braces to correct their teeth because they never had them when they were younger, or their teeth have shifted since they had braces earlier in life. Braces can improve the appearance of your teeth as well as your dental health.
Have More Braces Questions? Ask Castle Hills 3D Orthodontics
If you think you or your child may need braces, the first step is to have an evaluation. Castle Hills 3D Orthodontics can evaluate your or your child’s teeth to determine whether or not braces would be the best way to correct the orthodontic issues present. We will make a recommendation for treatment and answer any questions you may have regarding braces.
Call 469-598-1700 today to schedule a consultation or request an appointment. We look forward to transforming your smile.